It can be a nightmare to lose the stuff on your phone, so this is how to get everything backed up to your computer to keep it safe. There's different ways to do it for different phones, so choose the phone that you've got to get to the right section.
To back up your iPhone, you'll need iTunes to be installed and up to date on your computer. If it's just the pictures you want to get, there's some separate steps because you don't need iTunes to get them.
Transferring your pictures
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer, then open the 'Start menu' and choose Computer.
2. Double-click your iPhone, then open the Internal storage folder.
3. Open the folder called DCIM.
4. Right-click the folder that has your pictures in it and Copy it.
5. Find the 'Pictures' folder in the list on the left, then right-click it and choose Paste. A folder with all the photos from your phone will be made.
Backing up your phone
Before you start, you'll need iTunes to be downloaded and installed on your computer. Once you've got it, open it up and you're ready to start.
1. In the top-left corner of the iTunes window, click Store.
2. Sign in with your Apple ID and Password.
3. Connect your phone to the computer with the USB cable. You might be asked if you trust the computer. To carry on, choose Yes.
4. Click your iPhone in the top-right corner of iTunes to see a 'Summary' of the phone. Choose Back up now.
5. If you're asked to transfer 'Purchases', choose Agree. This makes sure that any apps or music that you've paid for will be kept.
6. When it's done, you'll see todays date under 'Latest backup'.
To back up your Samsung, you'll need to download and install Samsung SmartSwitch. If you just want to copy your pictures, videos or music from the phone, use the second set of steps below.
1. Open the 'SmartSwitch' software and connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable.
2. You might have to press a button on your phone screen. Check your phone when prompted, and press Install.
3. When the phone has been picked up, click the Back up option at the bottom of the program.
4. Wait for your phone to back up. The progress bar at the bottom of the screen will show you how much longer it will take to complete.
5. When it's done, SmartSwitch will tell you which bits of data were successfully saved. You'll also see the time and date of the last backup, which should have today's date on it.
If you've got another type of Android phone that's got a memory card in it, you'll be able to use these steps to get your stuff from it and save it to your computer.
1. Connect the phone to your computer with a USB cable. On the computer, open the Start menu and choose Computer.
2. You'll see your phone in the list. Double-click it to open it.
3. Find the storage folder. It might be called 'Internal storage', 'Phone' or 'Memory card'. Double-click it to open it.
4. Find and right-click on DCIM, Pictures, Downloads or any other folder you want to save to your computer. Choose Copy.
5. Find the folder you want to save your files to and right-click, then choose Paste.
6. Repeat these steps for any other folders you want to save.
You are now able to get all the things you need from your phone onto your computer. If you need any more help, contact a Team Knowhow Expert here.